COVID-19 vaccination at Salem Aged Care
The Australian Government is beginning its rollout of the COVID-19 vaccination program, to offer protection against the virus. Residential aged care residents will be among the first people who can choose to receive the vaccine in the first roll-out phase.
Salem Aged Care has been advised that health care professionals appointed by the government will be attending our service soon to deliver the vaccination to residents.
We have not yet been advised when it will be available to staff.
Please note that COVID-19 vaccination is voluntary, but the Australian Department of Health strongly encourages vaccination.
The government has advised at this stage that they will be using the Pfizer vaccine.
The Therapeutic Goods Administration have advised that the potential benefits of vaccination versus the potential risk and clinical impact should be carefully assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Patients and/or their families, representatives and carers can talk to their GP or a health professional about the COVID-19 vaccines.
Below are a number of resources from the Australian Department of Health to give you more information.
- Information Sheet for Residents and their families
- Video about how vaccines work
- Information sheet on COVID-19 Pfizer (Comirnaty) vaccine
- What to expect on vaccination day
- After your COVID-19 vaccination
What is the process?
- If your loved one is the decision maker, we will assist them in the consent process and to sign the consent form. You are encouraged to discuss this decision with them, in consultation with their GP if necessary.
- If you are the Enduring Power of Attorney (EPOA) for your loved one, and you choose for them to receive the vaccine, you will be required to sign a consent form. Please talk to your loved one’s doctor if you have any questions or concerns before they get the COVID-19 vaccination.
Our staff will be in direct contact with and supporting residents, EPOAs and families through this process.
We have not yet been advised when our other Lutheran Services sites will be receiving the vaccination. We will provide updates as soon as we know.